[Special note: the new telephone system at the township hall has been installed and is taking calls.]
There are no incorporated municipalities within the township.
- The city of Mount Pleasant is nearby to the west, and the Mount Pleasant post office, with ZIP code 48858, serves the northern portion of Chippewa Township. The western portion of the township lies within the Mount Pleasant Public School District.
- The village of Shepherd is nearby to the south, and the Shepherd post office, with ZIP code 48883, serves the southern portion of Chippewa Township. The remaining portion of the township lies within the Shepherd Public School District.
- Alembic is a small, most historical locale near the center of the township at latitude 43.598oN (43o35'51"N) and longitude 84.668oW (84o40'06"W), the crossroads of East Remus and South Loomis roads. A rural post office operated from June 23, 1874, until December 31, 1905.
As of the census of 2010,
- there were 4,654 people, 1713 households, and 1,234 families residing in the township.
- The population density was 128.6 per square mile (49.7/km²).
- There were 1,883 housing units at an average density of 52.0 per square mile (20.1/km²).
- The racial makeup of the township was 74.8% White, 0.6% African American, 18.0% Native American, 0.4% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.8% from other races, and 5.3% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 5.6% of the population.